Rule the Sand!
BEACH VOLLEYBALL RULES
GENERAL BVL PLAY RULES
- Times on the schedule are EXACT. All games will end at the time limit.
- Matches are two games to 25 points with a 27-point cap, and a 40 minute time limit.
- There is a 5-serve limit in both co-ed 4’s and 6’s, (co-ed non spiking uses a 3 serve limit)
- You may never intentionally kick the volleyball.
- There will be no referees. Teams will keep their own score, and call their own violations
- The top 2 teams in each tier will move up to the next tier and the bottom two teams will move down a tier.
- Teams will be ranked by
- WINS between the tied teams
- Plus/Minus between the tied teams
- Overall Plus/Minus
- All players are required to play barefoot. (‘Sand socks’ and ‘Aqua shoes’ are permitted)
- The beach 6’s will be played using all BVL indoor rules and not typical beach rules as stated below.
FIVB beach rules are in effect and will be followed with the following exceptions/clarification:
- Open Hand Tips: You are not allowed to ‘tip’ the ball with your fingers as you would in the indoor game.
- Side Sets: It is illegal to volley the ball over the net in a direction not perpendicular to your body.
- Screens: A player at the net may not block the receiving team’s view of the server.
- Switching Sides: Due to wind and sun teams may switch sides on every multiple of 10 points.
- Passing Under The Net: You may pass under the net as long as you don’t interfere with the play.
- First Contacts: A player may have successive (double) contacts with the ball during a single attempt to make the team’s first contact provided the fingers are not used to direct the ball in an overhand motion (i.e. a volley). IF THE BALL HAS ANY SPIN, IT IS CONSIDERED TO HAVE BEEN DOUBLE CONTACTED.
- Held Balls (Lifts): The ball must be contacted cleanly and not held, lifted, pushed, caught, carried or thrown. The ball cannot roll or come to rest on any part of a player’s body.
- Exception: In defensive play of a hard-driven ball (a ball that has NO ARC), the ball may be momentarily lifted or pushed, with the fingers, (i.e. a volley) provided the attempt is one continuous motion and the player does not change the direction of that motion while contacting the ball.
- The Block: The block in 4’s volleyball is considered your first contact. The same player may make the second contact
- Attackers: All four players on the court may attack at the net. There is no attack line.
- Rotation: Players may play any position at all times. However, all four players on the court must serve in rotation.
- In Or Out: If the ball lands on any part of the tape, it is considered to be ‘in’.
- Number of Players: The number of women on the court should be equal to or greater than, the number of men. If a team is short a female player, they may:
- Play with an one male, and one female (no penalty).
- Play with two men and one woman, and start with a five point defecit.
- A player that arrives late will be allowed to join the game after the next stoppage in play (ie before the next serve). If his/her team has chosen Option 2, the opponent will retain the 5 points previously awarded.
Beach Rules Revised. June 24, 2008
League InformationSchedules & Standings Locations/MapsRules (Indoor)Rules (Outdoor) Forms & Waivers
Forum Postings Overview13 Teams are looking for players 16 Players are looking for teams 01 General postings
There are currently no events posted.
Follow us on Twitter
Tweets by @bramptonvball